The labels used in our P-Touch Labellers really are a unique product. Not only do they look good, but their patented laminated design ensures they will stick on most surfaces AND last for a very long time.
Brother P-touch laminated TZ tapes consist of six layers of materials, resulting in a thin, extremely strong label. Characters are formed with a thermal transfer ink and sandwiched between two protective layers of PET (polyester film). The result is a virtually indestructible label that can withstand even the harshest conditions. In fact, test results prove that Brother P-touch laminated labels out perform competitor labels, staying legible and affixed, so you can be confident of a professional quality label that has been designed to last.
Abrasion Resistance - Brother tested the abrasive qualities of their laminated tapes by passing a 1kg sanding device over a tape and found that even after 50 return passes, the characters underneath the able were completely unaffected and the lamination was only slightly scratched. Now that's tough!
Temperature Resistance - Brother have tested their labels to the extreme. In fact, results show that Brother P-touch laminated labels can withstand temperatures from -80°C to 150°C.
Brother P-touch laminated labels, slightly roughened with abrasive paper, were attached to stainless steel then heated and cooled. After 240 hours at -80°C no noticeable change in tape adhesive or colour had occurred. After 240 hours at 150°C, despite slight discolouration, the text on the label remained completely intact, and the heat actually increased the tapes' adhesive strength, due to a slight softening and spreading of the adhesive.
Fade Resistance - Wherever you use P-touch laminated labels, they have been designed to stay as clear and legible as the day they were applied. Several Brother P-touch laminated labels, in various colours, were attached to coated metal plates and placed inside a fade-inducing chamber at 83°C. They were left for a period of 100 hours to simulate a year in sunny surroundings and then inspected for any obvious changes. The text colour remained unchanged and so all characters were still completely legible. To the naked eye, the tapes' background colour showed no change, except for the yellow tape which showed some slight fading.
Water and Chemical Resistance - To test Brother P-touch laminated labels against the effects of water and chemicals, the tapes were firstly attached to glass slides and immersed in a variety of liquids for 2 hours. No change in appearance or structure of the labels occurred, and the labels remained affixed to the slides. Although some labels soaked in certain chemicals showed minor changes, rubbing the labels with the same chemicals had no effect at all. So even if chemicals are spilled on your Brother P-touch laminated labels, a quick wipe should be enough to prevent any damage.
For more information on tape sizes and styles, please click here (568kB)
PTouch tapes come in a wide variety of colours, sizes and styles and the ultimate choice of which tape to choose depends on your application. To help you further, here is a further information on the categories of tapes:
TZ Laminated Tapes:
• Resistant to water, sunlight, chemicals, heat and coldCan stick to virtually any surface
• Are durable as they won’t fade or tear
• Can be used indoors (such as microwaves and freezers) as well as outdoors
• Labels do not leave a sticky residue when they are removed, leaving a smooth, clean surface
M Tapes Non-Laminated:
• Perfect for general indoor use
• Available in a range of colours
Extra Flexibile Tapes:
• Perfect for wire wrapping, cabling and other curved surfaces. This specially designed tape can be used for electrical and telecommunication applications.
• Made with special materials designed for labelling around sharp bends and around cylindrical surfaces
• Label will not lift up by the edges, ensuring a complete adhesion to the surface
• Ideal for flagging cables
Extra Strength Adhesive Tapes (laminated):
• Has twice the adhesive strength than regular P-touch tape
• Can be used on a wide range of industrial materials
• Ideal for harsh environments & textured surfaces
•This tape is made from cloth and after letters printed on it, an iron used to adhere this tape to another piece of cloth
• Clothing with this tape can be washed or dry cleaned
• Can be used to place names on smooth surface fabric such as cotton used in uniforms
• These tapes have a background that stands out from normal tape and is very eyecatching
• Ideal for warnings in shops or factories, or as advertising labels in stores
Security (tamper evident) Tapes:
• This tape has a special adhesive so when the label is peeled off it leaves a checkerboard pattern.
• Use it for labels that must not be peeled off such as company assets.
How thick are TZ tapes?
TZ tapes are around 160 micro metres in thickness but this varies slightly by tape type.
When I remove the label will messy adhesive remain? How can I remove it?
Tapes can be removed from most materials with relative ease leaving little or no adhesive on the material. Extreme heat, humidity and certain chemicals may result in some residual adhesive being left but this can be removed in most cases with Ethanol.
Do TZ tapes contain chloride?
No chloride materials are used in the cassette case, tape or ink. Can TZ tapes be submerged in alcohol?
Submersion of TZ tapes in alcohol is not recommended for extended periods due to the possible deterioration of the tape adhesive.
Is it safe to burn a P-touch label?
Although there may be some halogen in TZ tapes, it is of a very low level making it safe to burn TZ tapes.
Do TZ tapes create static electricity?
When peeling off the tape liner there may be some very low levels of static electricity.
Do TZ tapes contain vinyl chlorine?
TZ laminated tapes contain very low levels of residual chlorine.
Do TZ tapes contain latex?
TZ tape uses acryl based adhesive materials and do not include latex.
Does TZ tape contain lead?
There is no lead in the cassette case, tape or ink.
Can TZ tapes be used on circuit boards?
We do not recommend that TZ tapes are used on circuit boards due to the sensitivity of circuit boards to dust, static electricity and acid (although these are at very low levels in TZ tapes).
Can TZ tapes be used on copper?
As adhesive materials used in our tape are acrylic and weakly acid we do not recommend that TZ tapes are used on copper.
How long should security tape be attached before peeling off?
We recommend that TZ security tape is affixed for at least 24 hours in order to work effectively.
Flat Shelftalker Adhesive Data Strip 914 x 26mm Black
Name Badge Pin Self Adhesive
Flat Shelftalker Adhesive Data Strip 914 x 26mm Clear
Flat Adhesive Data Strip 914 x 26mm Black